It can be notoriously difficult to buy a gift for teenage boys – especially one they’re actually going to like a lot. We have some tips to keep in mind when you’re shopping for a boy in his teens as well as another long list of potential gifts to get you thinking of your own great ideas. Buying a gift for a teenager doesn’t need to be as difficult as you might imagine.
Tips for Buying Gifts for Teenage Boys
Before we get to our list of gift suggestions for teenagers, let’s go over some of the things you need to consider carefully before you even start to think about what to buy.
- Know What They Like – The best tip for getting a gift for a teenage boy is to ask them what they need or want. If you want to surprise them, you can instead ask someone in their life for ideas.
- Avoid a Gift Card – While this may seem easy and a way to ensure the teen likes what they get, it’s actually not the best of ideas. It’s better to take the time to learn what they might actually want or need.
- Remember the Cost – Another good to think about is the price of the gift you’re getting. Knowing how much to spend on a person depending on how well you know them is an art and not a science, but it’s something to consider.
The biggest piece of advice we can give is to slow down and take your time. By not rushing the process, you can ensure you get something that makes everyone happy.
Best Gifts for Teenage Boys
Now that you have some ideas on how to go about finding the perfect gift for a male teenager, we’re going to go ahead and give you some idea in different price ranges to help you make your decision.
- Video Games – This is a time tested favorite for most teenage boys, but you need to be sure you know if they play games on a console or the computer – if they play them at all. Knowing what type of games they like playing is another good piece of information to have handy when you’re shopping. Last but not least, make sure their parents will be okay with the rating on the game you get.
- Sports Equipment – Some teenage boys are into sports in a big way, and more sports equipment – or even sports memorabilia – can be a great gift idea for them. As with video games, you’re going to want to know their specific interests so you don’t get them a soccer ball when all they play is golf and basketball. The best part of this gift is that it can promote good health through exercise.
- Tablet Computer – An iPad or even another brand of tablet can be expensive, but there’s a very good chance teen boys are going to love getting one as a gift. There are a lot of choices out there these days, so take your time and find something in your price range that has all the features you think they’ll enjoy – like long battery life and access to games and apps for one.
- R/C Vehicles – Whether it’s a helicopter, quadcopter, ship or off-road racer, a radio controlled vehicle is another great gift idea for teen boys. You’ll be able to find items in just about all price ranges. It’s still a good idea to know as much as you can about the teenager who’s getting the gift so that you can get something they’re going to enjoy playing with more than once.
Whatever you choose, be sure to keep the receipt so they can take it back if they need to for any reason. From clothes not fitting or not being something they would wear to them just not being interested in what you got, there are a lot of reasons they may want to return a gift. Just be sure you don’t get offended by the fact they want to return your gift. There will be another gift giving opportunity in the future most likely.
If you have any of your own ideas on gifts to give teenage boys or have advice for anyone taking on this gift giving challenge, please write a comment below and let us know what you’re thinking. In a future article, we’ll go over buying awesome gifts for teenage girls – which can be even more difficult in some ways! Until them, happy gift giving.